Posted by J.E.H. Simon (22.214.171.124) on September 17, 2004 at 01:16:50:
I have an original Motorola 35A alternator. It is mounted on a bracket which has a sticker that reads "fire hazard if short circuited". When I turn on my battery switch, this bracket gets hot: just the bracket, not the alternator body.
One lead from the alternator is run to the ammeter, one to the coil, and another is run directly to the middle post of the battery switch, which is a Perko off/1/all/2. these are all 16-gauge wire.
The motor runs flawlessly, and charges properly. However, even when the motor has not yet been run, and the only load is the instrument lights, the bracket gets uncomfortably hot within 2-3 min.
I have looked all over the web, but I still cannot find anything which indicates exactly what it is that may be shorted out. I would be grateful for any advice you might have.