[ Follow Ups ] [ Return to Atomic 4 Forum ] [ FAQ & WWWBoard Information ]

Posted by Will ( on June 08, 2004 at 01:30:02:

In Reply to: Water pump grease posted by John Sutton on 14:07:10 06/07/04:

Hi John:

In the old old days some waterpumps on cars used a special grease called water pump grease. It was different stuff and my hair is gray enough ro remember what it looked like. I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease but from what I have heard anything will work. Keep in mind that that pump does not have bearings, the shaft rides straight on the bronze body of the pump. Turn that cup a half turn every now and then, it will save you a lot of grief. Look at the pump real close and you will see a rectangular hole on the top and one on the bottom. These are drain holes incase your seals fail. There are 2 seals in this pump. one keeps the water in. If it fails it leaks seawater on the block to oilpan flange which runs along the length of the engine and rusts it out pretty quick. The other seal keeps engine oil in. I have a customer that I am helping that has a real leak problem. The grease cup fell out and he started leaking water at a pretty fast rate, It also ruined the pump. If your grease cup is hard to get at some people put in a fitting, sometimes a zerk, and attach a small grease gun to it via a long hose. Need any help you can contact me at I use a lot of cell time helping out people. Good luck, will

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Return to Atomic 4 Forum ] [ FAQ & WWWBoard Information ]